There are different actions for each type of bean. Each time the name of the bean is called out, the child(ren) should do the correct action. Great fun!
- Runner Beans – run on the spot
- String Beans – stretch up tall and be as thin as possible
- Dwarf Beans – bend down and be as small as you can be
- Broad Beans – hold arms out wide and stand with wide legs
- Chili Beans – shiver
- Frozen Beans – everyone has to stand still
- Jumping Beans – jump and down
- Beans on Toast – lie on your back with arms across your chest
Capture the flag – outdoors
- Grab a couple of brightly-coloured flags (these can be towels, fleece etc)
- Divide the players into two teams, each with their own territory of bushes and trees to hide behind.
- The flags then get placed in a visible area within each team’s territory.
- Aim to steal the other team’s flag and bring it back to your base without getting caught.
- If you’re tagged, you’ll have to wait in the other team’s jail until you’re freed by a teammate.
Down, down, lie down
Stand in a circle and throw a tennis ball to one another until someone doesn’t catch it or drops it.
That person will then have to go down on one knee. Continue playing. If they drop the ball again they’ll go down on both knees, followed by each of their elbows and finally lying down.
If they drop it again, they’re out. Last person standing wins!
Hide & Seek
One person is the seeker the others have to hide. The seeker will close their eyes and count to anything from 10 to 100 while the others go and hide. The last person found becomes the seeker.
The group of children will decide who will start as being “it.” That person chases the other people around, trying to tag one of them with their hand. The newly tagged person is now “it.” There is often the rule of “no tag-backs” where you can’t tag the person who just tagged you. The game ends when everyone is tired of playing.
A variation of Tag where if the person who is “it” tags you, you have to freeze (stand still) where you are. Another person can run up and tag you to unfreeze you and you can join back in the game.
Blind Man’s Bluff
Another way to play tag. The person who is “it” wears a blindfold and tries to tag the other players.
Note: Ensure the area is safe to play, with any hazards removed. Not to played near a road.
Monkey in the Middle
You need 3 people to play this game. One person stands in the middle (the monkey) and the other two throw a frisbee back and forth to each other, above the monkeys head. Object of the game is for the monkey to jump and catch the frisbee. When they do the person that threw the frisbee becomes the new ‘monkey’ in the middle.
As many people can play this using a ball. Object of the game is to throw the ball to each other and every time a person drops the ball, they spell out the word donkey and first person to spell the word is out!
i.e. first drop is D, second drop is O, third drop is N and so on.
You can do this using any word – we used donkey growing up!
Simon Says …
One person s picked to be ‘Simon’, you must then do everything that ‘Simon’ says.
‘Simon’ must always start by saying “Simon says” example “Simon says touch your nose” everyone in must touch their nose.
“Simon says scratch your head” everyone must scratch their head.
But if ‘Simon’ just says “scratch your head” and you do the action you are out the game. Last person in the game takes the turn to be ‘Simon’.